Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Two more books ~ on TWOsday

Genesis and the Big Bang: The Discovery of Harmony Between Modern Science and the Bible ~ by Gerald L. Schroeder, 1990, religion/science
In this groundbreaking book, physicist Gerald Schroeder takes on skeptics from both sides of the cosmological debate, arguing that science and the Bible are not at odds concerning the origin of the universe.
The Hidden Face of God: How Science Reveals the Ultimate Truth ~ by Gerald L. Schroeder, 2001, religion/science
In a timely fusion of science and faith, the scientist and popular writer Gerald L. Schroeder explains why cutting-edge scientific theories point to a great plan underlying the universe.
A couple of weeks ago, I told you about getting this book from the library:
The Science of God: The Convergence of Scientific and Biblical Wisdom ~ by Gerald L. Schroeder, 1997, religion/science
The top two books were already on my own bookshelves.  I bought and read Genesis and the Big Bang in the first week of February 1992.  I bought The Hidden Face of God in December 2001, but haven't read it yet.  I'm finally reading The Science of God (yes, the one from the library), and yes, they are all by the same author.

As I was writing this blog post, I skimmed some of the passages I had underlined in Genesis and the Big Bang and noticed that (1) each underlined part still interests me and (2) I didn't specifically remember having underlined it.  I usually remember whole passages for a long time, usually years.  That's when I looked back to see when I'd read the book.  What?!?  It's been 25 years?!?  (From 1992 to 2017.)  No wonder I didn't remember each quote!

Isn't time interesting?  I had underlined a couple of places about "the great supernova of February 1987" (pp. 79 and 83), which had occurred five years before I read that book.  What was I doing at THAT time?  It was my last semester of seminary, and I was appointed as pastor of my first church a few months later.

Chapter 2 is about "Stretching Time," so I looked there to find a suitable quote for this post.  I chose this one from page 45 about the fact that "gravity ... causes time dilation":
"A clock on the Moon runs more rapidly than the same clock when on the Earth because the Moon has less gravity than the Earth."

No comments: