Thursday, February 2, 2017

Thesaurus ~ Wednesday Word (a day late)

Sitting around the table with an ever-changing group of friends at lunchtime, we got to talking about words.  Melvin said he wants to revise his book of poems, changing some of the wording.  I had gone straight into the Circle @ Crown Café when I got off the van from our trip to the book sale at the Jewish Community Center, so I had my huge bag of books on the floor beside me and whipped out my newly-acquired Merriam-Webster Thesaurus.  I offered it to Melvin, but he says he already has two of them.  But he did make "thesaurus" his word of the day.
thesaurus = a dictionary of synonyms and antonyms, such as the online Thesaurus.com
A thesaurus helps us pinpoint the precise meaning we want to convey.  It also usually gives sample sentences to show how words are used in context.  Don't you love the thesaurus rex illustrating happiness?

2 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

Isn't it funny how we like certain words, or certain words seem to come up often? One of my favorite words is plethora.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I'll have to give Melvin your word "plethora" next. We both went on the filled-up van to breakfast today with others from the Crown Center, and we talked about words again. I suggested "mentor" for his word of the day. "Plethora" would be perfect, since it turns out he had ONE word of the day on Thursday, TWO words of the day Friday when he talked to Donna, and THREE words of the day today (Saturday). I tried to tell him it's enough to focus on any one word at a time, but he assures me he can manage three each day. He'll soon be trying to remember a plethora of words each day, if he doesn't burn himself out before he gets there.