Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Library Loot ~ one more book

A Spool of Blue Thread ~ by Anne Tyler, 2015, fiction (Maryland)
“It was a beautiful, breezy, yellow-and-green afternoon. . . . ”  This is how Abby Whitshank always describes the day she fell in love with Red in July 1959.  The Whitshanks are one of those families that radiate an indefinable kind of specialness, but like all families, their stories reveal only part of the picture:  Abby and Red and their four grown children have accumulated not only tender moments, laughter, and celebrations, but also jealousies, disappointments, and carefully guarded secrets.  From Red’s parents, newly arrived in Baltimore in the 1920s, to the grandchildren carrying the Whitshank legacy boisterously into the twenty-first century, here are four generations of lives unfolding in and around the sprawling, lovingly worn house that has always been their anchor.
Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire @ The Captive Reader and Linda @ Silly Little Mischief that encourages us to share the names of books we checked out of the library.  It's Linda's turn this week.

2 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

I've liked Ann Tyler's books in the past, but I feel like I don't really get a sense of what this book is about by the description. I wonder what you'll think of it...

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I can't say I'd recommend this one, though I've also liked her earlier books. I rated it 7 of 10, mostly for the writing, not the story line.