Friday, September 25, 2015

Beginning ~ in the river's current, drowning

The Good Neighbor ~ by A. J. Banner, 2015, fiction (Washington), 8/10

Opening lines of the Prologue
I'm drowning.  The river's current is tearing me apart.  I've kicked off my boots, but my heavy jeans cling to my legs.  My chest burns with the need for air.  Where is she?
Opening line of Chapter One, Two Months Earlier
That early October evening, everything on Sitka Lane was still perfect.
Summary of the book
From a phenomenal new voice in suspense fiction comes a book that will forever change the way you look at the people closest to you.  Shadow Cove, Washington, is the kind of town everyone dreams about — quaint streets, lush forests, good neighbors.  That’s what Sarah thinks as she settles into life with her new husband, Dr. Johnny McDonald.  But all too soon she discovers an undercurrent of deception.  And one October evening when Johnny is away, sudden tragedy destroys Sarah’s happiness.  Dazed and stricken with grief, she and Johnny begin to rebuild their shattered lives.  As she picks up the pieces of her broken home, Sarah discovers a shocking secret that forces her to doubt everything she thought was true — about her neighbors, her friends, and even her marriage.  With each stunning revelation, Sarah must ask herself, Can we ever really know the ones we love?
I joined the group "One Book One Facebook," discovered they have already started discussing the first chapters of this choice for September, and immediately downloaded the book to my Kindle.  I'm discovering how dangerous it can be for a "bookie" like me to have a device that immediately satisfies my desire for another book, and another book, and another........  Yeah, that.


Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays.  Click here for today's Mister Linky.

5 comments:

Juli Rahel said...

Ooh I have the same with my Kindle. I can just get whatever I want right away! I do like the sound of your read though, might have to check it out! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend!
My Friday post
Juli @ Universe in Words

Maria said...

I really like the beginning of this book - this sounds good and yes ...it is dangerous for us bookies to have kindles that download right away....lol...Here's My Book Beginnings and Friday 56

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I have this book on my NetGalley shelf...and I can't wait to read it. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE HOUSE OF MEMORIES”

Unknown said...

I just finished a book with the same title, also a debut, but different author! How funny. I'll be reviewing it in October. I knowwhatvyou mean about the lure of the Kindle. 2AM and nothing to read in the house? Just go online! But I always go to my library first, they have tons for Kindle.

Elizabeth said...

I like the opening line.

ENJOY!!

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Book Beginnings