Sunday, August 31, 2014

Sunday Salon ~ reading horizons

Have you ever taken one of those "tests" that purport to tell you where to live or which dog you should have or whatever?  I did one that supposedly answers the question:  What career were you actually meant for?  I should be a WRITER, according to this:
"You have an unmatched skill for creating vast worlds both through facts and pure imagination.  Your mind is full of creativity, artistry, and expression.  Your heart gracefully guides your hands as you work to bring what is truly your spirit to life.   You were truly meant to guide the world with your words."
That means writing this blog (and maybe letters and emails?) is what I truly should be doing.  Hurray for me, since that's what I enjoy.

I got a fortune cookie the other day, which said, "You will soon receive a letter from a loved one."  Okay, WHO will that loved one be?  Are you planning to write soon?

Seen on Colleen's blog:  "I started a new exercise routine.  Every day I do diddley squats."  Colleen, you should try a few exercises I've practiced:  jumping to conclusions, skipping lunch, running my mouth, pushing my luck, dodging responsibility, stretching the truth, exercising discretion, grasping at straws, and jogging my memory.  I never was any good at social climbing, though.

Reading Horizons

I bought a couple of new books this week.  When I took a neighbor to Barnes & Noble to get her annual "dog calendar" because she doesn't have a car, I couldn't pass up the book I'd wanted when I was at that store previously.  A couple of my neighbors follow the Baha'i Faith, one of the 50 religions explained in this book. I want to know more about Baha'i.



30-Second Religion: The 50 Most Thought-Provoking Religious Beliefs, Each Explained in Half a Minute ~ edited by Russell Re Manning, 2011
"Central to Baha'ism is a conviction of the essential unity of all religious faiths, reflecting its emphasis on celebrating humanity and seeking world peace" (p. 76).

I bought the other book when I went with my friend Betty to hear a reading by the author at Left Bank Books.

Bad Feminist ~ by Roxane Gay, 2014, essays
A collection of essays spanning politics, criticism, and feminism from one of the most-watched young cultural observers of her generation, Roxane Gay.  The author takes us through the journey of her evolution as a woman of color while also taking readers on a ride through culture of the last few years and commenting on the state of feminism today.  The portrait that emerges is not only one of an incredibly insightful woman continually growing to understand herself and our society, but also one of our culture.  This book is a sharp, funny, and spot-on look at the ways in which the culture we consume becomes who we are, and an inspiring call-to-arms of all the ways we still need to do better.
Bloggers gather in the Sunday Salon — at separate computers in different time zones — to talk about our lives and our reading.

No comments: