Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Teaser Tuesday ~ flying fast and flying high

Jonathan Livingston Seagull: A Story ~ by Richard Bach, photos by Russell Munson, 1970, fiction, 10/10
This is a story for people who follow their hearts and make their own rules, people who get special pleasure out of doing something well, even if only for themselves, people who know there's more to this living than meets the eye.  They’ll be right there with Jonathan, flying higher and faster than they ever dreamed.
I first read this book more than forty years ago, in the early 1970s.  Yesterday, I saw it on the library's sale shelf and paid a whole quarter for it.  I'd forgotten how few words make up this novella, with its plethora of black and white photos taking up page after page.  I flew through the book (yes, pun intended) and want to share this single quote with you:
"Look with your understanding, find out what you already know, and you'll see the way to fly" (p.125).
Nah, I think I'll share some more quotes I found online as images.  I see I'm far from the only one impressed with this book.

"Overcome space, and all we have left is Here.
Overcome time, and all we have left is Now" (p. 87).

Now I think it's time to give away this copy to someone who needs to read it.  Or maybe someone who needs to re-read it.

No comments: