Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Reading Books I Own Challenge ~ part one

Pam @ Travellin' Penguin (she collects Penguin books) has started a reading challenge for herself and any of us who want to join her.  As I sit here typing and looking up at the stacks of books that surround me, I know that I must — I really MUST — follow her example and read these books I already have.
"The Challenge:  I will read [only***] the books I own and put the list up linked to the badge. ... Feel free to take the badge and link it to your list of books you own.  You might only want to do a list of 10 or 20 at a time."
I took the badge, and I wrote up the challenge [almost***] as she wrote it.  I compared the shelves in her post to my bookshelves, and I started compiling a list of books.  Here's what I plan to read first, though I'll count any additional books that come from my own boxes, shelves, or stacks.  I'll start today with the first one on this list.

1.  Simplify Your Life: How to De-Clutter and De-Stress Your Way to Happiness ~ by Sam Davidson, 2011
2.  The Dalai Lama's Cat ~ by David Michie, 2012, fiction
3.  How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life ~ by the Dalai Lama, 2002
4.  Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future ~ by Margaret J. Wheatley, 2009
5.  Living Buddha, Living Christ ~ by Thich Nhat Hanh, 1995
6.  Inferno ~ by Dan Brown, 2013, fiction
7.  Mixed Blessings ~ by Barbara Brown Taylor, 1986
8.  Reflections on My Call to Preach: Connecting the Dots ~ by Fred Brenning Craddock, 2009
9.  The Death of Fidel Perez ~ by Elizabeth Huergo, 2013, fiction
10.  Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith ~ by Barbara Brown Taylor, 2006
When I finish ten books (which may change as I go along), I'll post another ten and call it "Reading Books I Own Challenge ~ part two."  Stay tuned.

*** I modified her word [only***] because I'm a teacher and a writer and MUST read other books.  However, my goal is to read my own books, in chunks of ten at a time.  That will help clear the shelves and de-clutter some books from my life.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Throw me in this crusade. I have 4 stacks piled that need to be handled.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Heather, you are welcome to join me in this endeavor. I think Pam @ Travelin Penguin may have backed out, but I'm still working on it. See for yourself:

http://travellinpenguin.blogspot.com/2013/09/you-can-now-say-i-told-you-so-go-ahead.html

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

Every year, I vow to read more of the books on my TBR shelves. I even sign up for and complete TBR challenges. But I also keep gathering MORE books. I don't think I'll ever get through them all.