Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sunday Salon ~ East meets West

NEXT UP
Great Buddha of Kamakura
Jan @ Yearning for God plans to read Thích Nhất Hạnh's Living Buddha, Living Christ with me.  Would you like to join us?  You may be able to buy a used copy or borrow it from your library.  Opening the book at random, I found this teaser about women:
"The Buddha accepted women into his Sangha and they became teachers, transmitters of precepts, playing the same roles as the monks.  The first person Jesus revealed Himself to after His resurrection was a woman" (p. 71).
WHAT I'M READING
Just finished
1.  Into the Tangle of Friendship: A Memoir of the Things That Matter ~ by Beth Kephart, 2000, memoir,  8/10
Currently
2.  The Homesick Restaurant ~ by Anne Tyler, 1982, fiction (Maryland)
Concurrently
3.  The Gifts of the Jews: How a Tribe of Desert Nomads Changed  the Way Everyone Thinks and Feels ~ by Thomas Cahill, 1998, history (Israel)
Next
4.  Living Buddha, Living Christ ~ by Thích Nhất Hạnh, introduction by Elaine Pagels, 1995, religion
LIFE
Thursday was my birthday, so now I'm 72.  My twin daughters took me to lunch, and my best friend took me to dinner that evening.   My son tried to visit the night before, but when he called, I was across town trading in books at the big used books store (Thursday's post shows what I brought home).  He found a way to get his card and gift to me on time.  I have great kids!

Visit the Sunday Salon's Facebook page for links to more posts.

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

It sounds like your reading and Birthday all went well this week. I actually finished a book so am hoping that I am back on track