Monday, March 5, 2007

Madeleine L'Engle

Granita wrote to me, saying, "As for L'Engle I've read only the 3 I have on my shelf -- A Wrinkle in Time (my all time favorite kids book!), A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and A Wind in the Door. Collectively, they used to be known as The Time Trilogy, but my niece made me aware L'Engle has added a 4th book, called Many Waters."

Not only did Madeleine L'Engle add a fourth book to the trilogy, but she now has 62 books, plays, and poetry listed on her new web site: http://www.madeleinelengle.com/books/.

Categories for L'Engle's books:
... Young Adult Fiction ... Children's Fiction ... General Fiction ... Autobiographical ... Reflections on Scripture ... Prayers ... Poetry ... Special Books, Plays, and Short Stories ...

I have read most of the books (YA fiction, general fiction, autobiographical, reflections on scripture), but I didn't know about some of the plays and stuff. I have written a 13-week study called "Genesis: Soap Opera with a Twist," and I think I've read all of L'Engle's books about Genesis. I once met her after a church service at the University of the South in Sewanee when SHE was the speaker. Very nice, and I got to shake her hand.

6 comments:

Bookfool said...

I don't know how many L'Engle books I've read, but I have a special place for her books on one of the good shelves. The 4 books from the time trilogy are among them and, yep, if you got all of her books it would take up some space. :) I had the good fortune to hear Madeleine L'Engle speak in a library in Tulsa, when we lived there. She was amazing.

Granita said...

Hi Bonnie,

I posted a version of this to you on Margreet's blog as well...

I couldn't have told you exactly how many books Madeleine L'Engle's written, but I did know it was more than three! Hee hee.

On Margreet's blog when I mentioned L'Engle having added a 4th book, you can go back and see that I was talking specifically about her having added it to what used to be called The Time Trilogy -- that is, A Wrinkle in Time (my all-time favorite kid's book!), A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and A Wind in the Door.

Between when I read them as a kid and when my 13 year old niece read them (yes, 1989 falls between those two periods), L'Engle added Many Waters to the series so that The Time Trilogy is no longer a trilogy.

That's it.

Granita

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Granita, I knew what you meant, but I wanted to write about Madeleine L'Engle and used that as my jumping off point. Sorry, I guess that wasn't very nice, huh?

Kailana said...

I was a big Madeleine L'Engle fan when I was a teen, starting in the 8th grade when I read A Wrinkle in Time for the first time. I normally stick with her novels and young adult books... I am not big into religious writings exclusively, but I know that most of her books have religious themes. A Wrinkle in Time was my doorway to fantasy, or at least the book that I credit with it. She was supposed to write another book on one of her main characters.... I can't remember if it was Austin or Murry, but L'Engle is not young, so I am not sure if that is ever to be accomplished...

Granita said...

Hi Bonnie

Yep, there was something that felt not quite right in that response so thanks for your 'sorry.'

Talk to you soon,
Granita

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I truly didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. I do hope you know that because I want to remain friends. I am so sorry, and I hope you forgive me.

Love,
~~~ Bonnie