Friday, September 22, 2017

Beginning ~ with a walk

The Woman Next Door ~ by Yewande Omotoso, 2016, fiction (South Africa)
"The habit of walking was something Hortensia took up after Peter fell ill."
I saw this book on the Bookfoolery blog (see #73).  Nancy, the Bookfool herself, had this to say about the book, which made me put it on reserve at my library, and I was able to get it yesterday.
"The story of two women who are next-door neighbors in an upscale neighborhood in Cape Town, South Africa. Marion is white, Hortensia is black and they can't stand each other. Neither is aware of the racism and misogyny the other has experienced. But, when both have to deal with disasters that throw them into even closer proximity, they start to reveal pieces of their history and are surprised to find they have more in common than they could have imagined. Utterly delightful reading."


Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays.  Click here for today's Mister Linky.

3 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

South Africa and issues between the black and white residents always seems like a good setting for a novel. I hope this one turns out to be good.

Unknown said...

I think I may have to read this book. It sounds interesting. XOXOXOX

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Helen, I've just read the first three chapters tonight, but it is looking good so far.

Joan, it was published in 2016, so you would have read it when you lived next door to me in the past year.