Sunday, March 5, 2017

Sunday Salon ~ The Rep

My life in books

Secret Sister ~ by Emelle Gamble, 2013, fiction, 9/10
I couldn't stop reading this until I knew what happened, and the story kept getting better and better.  I've already talked a couple of people into getting their own copies.
Summary:
To their friends, Nick and Cathy Chance have the perfect marriage.  High school sweethearts who’ve been together for ten years, they’ve weathered challenges and are as committed as they were when they first fell in love.  Cathy trusts Nick, Nick’s world revolves around his wife, and the future looks golden.  To everyone who knows them, Cathy Chance and Roxanne Ruiz have a perfect friendship.  They connected in grade school and since then have been each others' confidant and trusted advisor.  Cathy loves the gorgeous Roxanne like a sister, Roxanne has fun-loving Cathy’s back in every situation, though lately there’s been tension between these two best friends.  And then, on a sunny summer morning, the unthinkable occurs, throwing into doubt the truth of what these people really know about themselves and one another, when one extraordinary twist of fate turns their lives upside down.
My life outside books

To Kill a Mockingbird
We filled the van today when we went to see "To Kill a Mockingbird" onstage at The Rep (Repertory Theatre) here in St. Louis.  See a video about the three local children who play the parts of Scout, Jem, and Dill; they talk about acting and what it's like for them.  The singing was excellent, and I loved how the actors moved props around to set the stage as they were reciting their lines.  They were so good and I was so focused on the actions that I later wondered, "How'd she get up that tree without my even noticing?"  Or how'd she get down, even after I was determined to notice what was going on?

The fence-prop in this photo was used as part of the "outdoor" scenery, as the "witness box" in court, and who knows how many other scenes as they moved things around.  I loved it!  And when Tom Robinson's wife screamed when he was convicted, I was in tears, even though I know the story (read the book, saw the movie).  It was a delightful performance.  Since we couldn't take pictures, I found these two and the video online.
Thanks to Helen @ Helen's Book Blog for the "my life in books" and "my life outside books" pattern I adopted today.  She's been doing her Sunday Salon posts that way, and I like it.  What do you think?

Bloggers gather in the Sunday Salon — at separate computers in different time zones — to talk about our lives and our reading.

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

To Kill a Mockingbird live on stage must have been wonderful! And the book you read looks good as well