Here are the rules for the Beautiful Blogger Award
1. Link to the blogger who has nominated you. (Done, see above.)Seven random facts about me
2. List seven random facts about you.
3. Nominate seven creative, beautiful bloggers, and let them know about the nomination.
2. Can you tell that I love playing with words? For weeks, I've been savoring bits of Richard Lederer's A Man of My Words: Reflections on the English Language (2003) and have fewer than 20 pages left to ponder.
a cat who's a drama queen. I didn't know Joy, who nominated me because I'm willing to do this, is allergic to cats. Thanks for sharing that "random" fact, Joy, so I won't have our Compassionate Sundays meetings in my apartment but elsewhere in the Crown Center.
exercising, and resources, like the library where I volunteer by reshelving the books.
5. I've been blogging about books since January of 2007. The first book I wrote about was The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri (2003), which I rated 8 of 10, "a very good book."
7. I play a cedar flute, sort of. I have memorized one song ("Whippoorwill" by R. Carlos Nakai), so that's what I shared with my Religions of the World classes when I got to the chapter on Native American spirituality. It's a haunting tune, and the librarian at the Lee Highway branch of Chattanooga State would tell me each semester that she'd heard me playing it.
If this video quits working, hear "Whippoorwill" by R. Carlos Nakai at YouTube. I know only the slow part that Nakai plays at the beginning (0:55 to 2:05) of this video, which is all that's on page 63 of The Art of the Native American Flute by R. Carlos Nakai, 1996. When he speeds up (2:58 to 3:38), he uses the same notes, but faster. The version I play is on "Changes," his first recording of Native American flute music. The cover says he composed "Whippoorwill" after hearing the bird's song in the woods of upstate New York. I love this piece! Can you tell?
My seven nominations
1. Nancy @ Bookfoolery
2. Wendy @ Caribousmom
3. Helen @ Helen's Book Blog
4. Colleen @ Loose Leaf Notes
5. Alyce @ At Home With Books
6. Ginnie @ Goldendaze-Ginnie
7. Maphead @ Maphead's Book Blog
(No, silly, his folks didn't name him that! It's his nickname.)