Books read by year

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Words ~ towing the party line

Someone on Facebook said something about "towing the party line," and I had to dash over to my blog to post something about the misuse of the word.  I have visions of someone pulling (towing) something heavy ("the party") on a long line, the way this horse is towing a barge in a canal.

"Toe the line" is an idiomatic expression, according to Wikipedia, meaning either to conform to a rule or standard or to stand poised at the starting line in a footrace.  I can use this idiom by saying that I expect people to toe the line when it comes to correct word usage.

1 comment:

  1. Good Article !
    When vehicles break down unexpectedly on highways or city roads, flatbed towing service becomes a reliable emergency solution. Professional tow trucks arrive quickly, load the vehicle onto a secure platform, and transport it safely to a repair shop or destination. This service reduces stress for drivers during emergencies and ensures that the vehicle does not suffer additional damage while being moved.
    Flatbed Towing Service

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated before being published.