Saturday, October 24, 2020

2020 edition of Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon

It's time, once again for Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon.  I have signed up (#690 of 843, when I looked last night).  I have chosen a book to read.  Yes, only one book because it's 455 pages long, and I just started it.  That way, I can spend time doing hourly memes (maybe) and visiting other blogs (likely).  My beginning time is at 7:00 a.m. today, because I'm in the Central Time Zone.  I'm ready to start reading.  Ready, set, go!

Your Perfect Year
~ by Charlotte Lucas, translated by Alison Layland, 2016, translation 2019, fiction (Germany)

Lucas uses a parallel storyline between the two main characters.  Jonathan is an editor in Hamburg, and Hannah is a young woman dreaming of a proposal from her boyfriend.  Someone called this a "beach read," so I don't expect it to be heavy reading at all.  Since 2020 has been so awful, I'm ready to visit a perfect year, even if it's fiction.

UPDATES:

1.  What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
2.  Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
There's only one.  Your Perfect Year by Charlotte Lucas
3.  Which snack are you most looking forward to?
Between meals, I may have an orange, graham crackers, or raisins.  I'm not much into snacks while reading.
4.  Tell us a little something about yourself.
I'm an 80-year-old reader, writer, word-lover, blogger, punster, and retired pastor.
5.  If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today?  If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
I participated in Dewey's first readathon and have done several since then.  I plan to read and write occasional updates on this blog.  Have fun reading, everybody!

BLOGS VISITED:

1.  Deb Nance at Readerbuzz, where I left a comment.
2.  Jenn at Jenn's Bookshelves, where I discovered she's using Instagram to update her progress.
3.  Michelle at True Book Addict, where I learned she's just moved.  I left her a comment and also plan to add her to the book blogs I read.
4.  Joy at Joystory, where I left a comment.

MINI-CHALLENGES:

  • B = Bluest Eye ~ by Toni Morrison
  • O = On Writing Well ~ by William Zinsser
  • N = Noah ~ by Ellen Gunderson Traylor
  • N = Noah's Floor ~ by William Ryan and Walter Pitman
  • I = I and Thou ~ by Martin Buber
  • E = Elsewhere ~ by Gabrielle Zevin
  • JACOBS = Jacob's Journey ~ by Noah benShea
THE ENDING:
As we approach the end (30 minutes left on the clock), I see that a total of 940 people took part in this year's Readathon.  I've almost finished the book, and I've enjoyed it.  I didn't do nearly as many visits or mini-challenges as in the past, partly because fewer folks are blogging these days.  But I'm satisfied, and I had a good time.

5 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

That's a book I want to read, Bonnie.

I'm reading (mostly) picture books today. I wonder if I can read all 24-hours this time. Here's my post: https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2020/10/its-time-for-deweys-24-hour-read-thon.html.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Oops. I forgot to say: I hope you have a great readathon!

Elyse L said...

I see that you're also doing the Mount TBR Challenge! Me too! I haven't heard of that book before but it sounds good! Adding to my (endless) TBR! Almost halfway through already, it always amazes me how time flies! I'm on IG @weezielemoo. Happy reading!

Joy Renee said...

Hi Bonnie, Thanx for the visit and the virtual hug. Sorry I did not return the visit before the Thon ended. I was already zoning out by the time I found it. I didn't last past 2am.
That does sound like a good story. If it is not already on my TBR I'm going to put it there.
I hope you had as relaxing and enjoyable readathon as it sounds.

Helen's Book Blog said...

As is typical with me, I had the best of intentions to read all day, but then union work and grocery shopping got in the way. That said, I did read most of and finish the book Atomic Love yesterday.