Thursday, August 13, 2020

Reading today ~ and checking out random windows

Ljubljana, Slovenia
The window in Ljubljana, Slovenia is an office on the ground floor, and I watched people walk past, including an elderly man carrying a bright green tote and walking slowly.  I wondered if he'd been shopping.

Kailene's dog wandered into the frame and looked out their window in Burnaby, BC, Canada.  A breeze was ruffling the hanging blinds beside a half dozen potted plants.

Click to enlarge the map
Crystal's window in Okinawa, Japan, seems to be at an eatery overlooking the ocean.  A young person was eating leisurely at a counter against the long window, while watching people go by.  When she finished, she got up and left.  The only thing missing was food for me.  As I wondered what might be on the menu at this place, a young woman wearing a white mask came along and spray-cleaned the counter before taking away the empty plate and sweating glass of water.  Mundane little things like this make it seem like I'm actually there.  As I kept looking, I realized it wasn't a window at all, but an open counter under a tarp-covered food court, held up by poles.  The "inside" hanging lights were swaying in the breeze that ruffles the palm leaves outside.  As usual, I looked it up.  Okinawa is one of the Rhjkyu Islands between the large islands of Japan and Taiwan to the south.

Storm clouds gathered outside Arnulf's window in Bavaria, Germany.

Maarten's window in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, overlooks a small canal.  I didn't see any boats in the canal or vehicles other than a few folks on bicycles across the way and, seven bikes parked in a row, and one parked at the foot of some steps.  I did see lots of pedestrians and birds flying beneath Maarten's window.  It was several minutes before I noticed the only "business" I could make out among the buildings was a Peep Show — with the words written in English.  Most of the people were young folks, including a couple sitting by the canal, talking.  At one point, the young man stands up, gesticulates, and sits back down.

Okay, enough of WindowSwap.  Now, back to my reading.

Why Did I Come Into This Room? : A Candid Conversation about Aging ~ by Joan Lunden
Lunden candidly shares her anxieties and breakthroughs and how she’s coping with the realities of aging.  She goes where others fear to tread, openly talking about wrinkles and age spots, diminished energy (my get-up-and-go got up and went), hot flashes, disrupted sleep, ageism, and yes, the real reasons we suddenly find ourselves always searching for those car keys!

No comments: