Friday, July 10, 2020

Beginning ~ with a slowpoke little brother

First edition cover


"Little Man, would you come on?  You keep it up and you're gonna make us late."


Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry ~ by Mildred D. Taylor, 1976, YA fiction
Set in Mississippi at the height of the Depression, this is the story of how one family struggled to maintain integrity, pride, and independence in the face of racism and social injustice.  It's also the story of Cassie Logan, an independent girl who discovers over the course of an important year why having land of their own is so crucial to the Logan family.
The opening lines didn't grab me, though it's gotten more interesting as I've read almost to the end.  But I wanted to read this first book in the Logan family series before plunging into the author's new novel All the Days Past, All the Days to Come (2020).  Cassie, no longer a child, is now a college graduate embarking on her life journey and becoming a lawyer who is active in the Civil Rights Movement.


============================
Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts
Book Beginnings on Fridays.
Click this link for book beginnings
shared by other readers.
============================

4 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

The opening did grab me, but it is for the personal connections I made to this book. My dad grew up at the same time as Cassie Logan just across the river in Louisiana. The Logans were very much like my dad's farm family, with the only real difference being that the Logans and my dad's family were two different races.

Becki said...

How interesting! I really want to read the first and second book now. Thanks for sharing :)

Konna said...

I find the premise very interesting! I will have to check it out :)

Elza Reads said...

I think the opening sentence sets the tone of the book perfectly! Hope you get to finish it soon and that it brings you joy.

Here's my Weekend Book Friends