Sunday, June 28, 2020

Don't forget

Don't forget to wear your mask.  Those of us living at the Crown Center are required to wear our masks whenever we are outside of our own apartments, as you can see by this sign.

Sandy has her mask hung on the lock of her door to the hallway.  I had mine NEAR my door, but this makes so much sense that I've followed Sandy's example.  Do you always wear a mask when you go out?

Someone in a Facebook group I'm in saw a woman take OFF her mask to cough.  Another person asked, "Why would she DO that?"  A nurse responded with a very helpful explanation:
"It's an instinctive response.  Way back when, when I was in nursing school, they taught us that we would experience this and they even had us practice coughing with a mask on to get used to it.  I went to a very thorough nursing school.

"When you cough, it's because your airway is feeling blocked, so you inhale a bit more deeply in preparartion to try to cough out the blockage.  Grabbing at the mask that is 'blocking' your airway is an instinct."
And then we have those who insist it's a free country, and they choose NOT to wear a mask.  I recently ran across a perfect analogy.  Imagine a whole bunch of people during the London Blitz of World War Two saying, "I'll turn on my lights if I feel like it."  Yes, people would have died for their stubborn "freedom" to do whatever they like.  And the point is — WEAR YOUR MASK TO PROTECT EVERYONE, not just yourself.  And please be sure that BOTH your nose and your mouth are covered.

Bookish Puzzle #2
  1. Scoliosis Sufferer at the Fighting Irish School
  2. Pirate Loot / Counter in the Center of a Kitchen
  3. A Story of a Duo of Municipalities
  4. About Little White Rodents and Grown Boys
  5. Ruby-Covered Nametag Indicating Bravery
  6. The Star in Our Solar System Comes Up, Too
Can you figure out the actual names of these famous books?  The "titles" have been slightly re-worded, as you can see.  Have fun grappling with these.  I posted another Bookish Puzzle here.

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

I am really frustrated by people who don't wear masks. I take one with me everywhere and wear it. The only time I am outside without wearing a mask is when I am on a walk and no one else is anywhere near me. As soon as someone is about 25 feet away, I put on my mask and give them a wide berth.