Friday, January 10, 2020

Beginning ~ with a lost tooth

Making Toast: A Family Story ~ by Roger Rosenblatt, 2010, memoir (Maryland)
The trick when foraging for a tooth lost in coffee grounds is not to be misled by the clumps.
His granddaughter lost a tooth, which he had wrapped in a napkin for safekeeping.  You see what's going to happen, don't you?  It did, so now he and his wife have been searching through the kitchen trash can for twenty minutes.  My friend Jane left this book out for me to read while I was staying at her house in November.  I glanced at the first page and didn't stop until page eight.  I think it will be good, in spite of the sad events that led up to the grandparents being there in the first place.
When Roger's daughter, Amy — a gifted doctor, mother, and wife — collapses and dies from an asymptomatic heart condition at age thirty-eight, Roger and his wife, Ginny, leave their home on the South Shore of Long Island to move in with their son-in-law, Harris, and their three young grandchildren:  six-year-old Jessica, four-year-old Sammy, and one-year-old James, known as Bubbies.

Long past the years of diapers, homework, and recitals, Roger and Ginny — Boppo and Mimi to the kids — quickly reaccustom themselves to the world of small children:  bedtime stories, talking toys, play-dates, nonstop questions, and nonsequential thought.

Though reeling from Amy's death, they carry on, reconstructing a family, sustaining one another, and guiding three lively, alert, and tenderhearted children through the pains and confusions of grief.  As he marvels at the strength of his son-in-law and the tenacity and skill of his wife, a former kindergarten teacher, Roger attends each day to "the one household duty I have mastered" — preparing the morning toast perfectly to each child's liking.
Now let me tell you "the rest of the story," as Paul Harvey used to say.  It was November of 2011 when I stayed at Jane's house to take care of her cat while she was traveling.  Yes, eight years ago.  I can't find any indication I ever finished the book (not on my list of books read that year or the next), so I must have left it at Jane's and never picked up a copy for myself.  That is, until more recently.

Jane died a couple of years after that, and I moved to St. Louis in 2014.  Yet I have a copy of the paperback edition in my apartment.  When did I acquire it?  I have no idea.  Why didn't I recognize it?  Look at the cover above and the cover of the hardback that I wrote for Book Beginnings in 2011.  I suddenly made the connection when I read Sue Jackson's review last week; she had the audio book.  I recognized the cover picture she used (this one), and suddenly I realized it was the book I had on my shelf.  Same book, different cover.  I searched my blog and found the old post from 2011.  Mystery solved.  Sort of.  I must not have read beyond those eight pages (mentioned above), yet I remembered this earlier cover that was on the hardback edition.  Since I own the book, I can count it for the Mount TBR Challenge, where I'm reading books from my own shelves.



Would the first few lines of your book make you want to read on?  If you want to share the first lines of a book you are reading, click on the link and visit Gilion at Rose City Reader.  Browse today's Linky to find interesting books for your own reading list.

5 comments:

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

I am reading more memoirs these days and it sounds like one I would love. And I love the story of how you came to read it. Thank you for sharing it on Book Beginnings.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Sounds like a spectacularly written book. I'm sure I'd read on. Sorry about the loss of your friend but I am glad you solved the mystery of the book. My book: On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous

Literary Feline said...

How funny! I hope you enjoy the book now that you've found a copy on your shelf! I really like the opening and it sounds like it will be a good one. I can see why you kept reading after that first line. Have a great weekend!

Sue Jackson said...

ha ha what a funny story, Bonnie! I can see how my blog post might have jogged your memory, since both covers appeared in different places on my post.

I'm so sorry that you lost your friend, but it seems she left you a special gift, in helping you discover this book ... which also deals with loss, but in a way that also makes you laugh.

I think you will enjoy the rest of the book as much as I did!

Sue

Book By Book

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Bonnie: it's like a breath of fresh air to receive your comment on my current blog. We go way back (I think to 2007) and I have no idea how we disconnected. Guess what? I've actually written a book! I couldn't afford to go the regular route so took advantage of Amazon's free self publishing. You can read about it at https://www.virginiadean.com/
I loved your review of "Making Toast" and agree that the first pages are critical. I hope we stay connected. Sending a hug, Ginnie