Monday, March 25, 2019

Eat crow

Time for me to eat crow.  This idiom (a group of words established by usage as having a meaning not deducible from those of the individual words) basically means to be humiliated by having to admit my mistake.  I have to say I'm wrong sometimes.  I was wrong last week when I made a snide (derogatory or disrespectful) comment about someone.  I should have kept my mouth shut, since it turns out I was mistaken in my assessment.  This morning, or as soon as I run into the person I spoke to, I'll rectify what I said (make it right).

How are we doing on definitions, here?  Let's see:
  1. idiom ~ a group of words established by usage as having a meaning not deducible from those of the individual word (for example:  raining cats and dogs, see the light).
  2. snide ~ derogatory or disrespectful in an indirect way.
  3. rectify ~ make it right, remedy, repair, redress, ameliorate.
Huh!  I could have made this into at least three separate blog posts.  Oh, you're waiting for me to give you details?  Nope, doing that would mean I was still being disrespectful, because my assessment was wrong-headed.  All I intend to share in this public forum is my own wrongness.

1 comment:

Bonnie Jacobs said...

How interesting that Jim Carrey used the SAME idiom later on the very day I had posted it on my blog at midnight.
https://www.thewrap.com/jim-carrey-reacts-after-mueller-report-summary-is-released-today-we-eat-crow/