Friday, February 8, 2019

The lie detector

Father buys a lie detector that makes a loud beep whenever somebody tells a lie.
The son comes home in the afternoon.  Father asks him, “So, you were at school today, right?”
Son:  “Yeah.”
Detector:   “Beep.“
Son:  “Okay, okay, I was at the movies.”
Detector:   “Beep.”
Son:   “Alright, I went for a beer with my friends.”
Father:   “What?!  At your age, I wouldn’t touch alcohol!“
Detector:   “Beep.”
Mother laughs:   “Ha!  He really is your son!”
Detector:   “Beep.”
This joke from Reader's Digest (the last joke at that link) makes me wonder about truth.  How much are we hiding from each other?  What sorts of things would change if we really knew what other people were thinking?  How would that lie detector work if the son really WAS at school (part of the day), then really DID go to the movies, and DID go for a beer with his friends later in the afternoon?  Maybe all three were true, but not necessarily the whole truth.  I'm just glad we aren't surrounded by lie detectors beeping at us.

1 comment:

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Too true to be funny Bonnie. I'm glad I'm not trying to bring up a child in these days. A President is supposed to be one you can hold up as an example for your children to follow … a liar and a bully doesn't pass muster.