Monday, January 14, 2019

A wee visit to Scotland

This morning, my friend Barbara posted this terrible pun on Facebook, saying, "This is something that you should enjoy!"  I don't know whether or not she meant that for me (I'll ask her later), but it fits.  I am, after all, the punster who has been covering the bulletin board by the elevators on my floor with groan-worthy puns.  I'll probably print off this little mouse in a tartan (or is it a hamster?) and post it, too.

Anyway, I left this comment on Barbara's Facebook post to say I do enjoy the pun:
Aye, it's right up my alley.  Or should I say, "It's right up my loch"?  A loch is a lake, over there in Scotland, like Loch Ness.  My kilt would be made from the tartan of the Campbells of Argyll, from whom I'm descended.  Want to see the tartan?  Here 'tis.
This blue-and-green color pattern, with a little yellow and white and black thrown in, is something I would actually wear.  I like blues and greens.  I probably have more blues and greens in my closet than any other colors.

And here's a picture of Inveraray Castle, the principal family seat of the Dukes of Argyll.  See how easily I can get lost when I start meditating on these things?  From puns, to Scotland, to kilts and tartans, to castles, and now, one more thing.  The music, of course!  For my purposes, it only makes sense that I share "The Campbells Are Coming."  Click the link to listen to the music, played on bagpipes, which is where we started up above.  Remember?  Here are the words to the chorus, from the Wikipedia article which has all the verses, as well:
The Campbells are coming, Ho-Ro, Ho-Ro!
The Campbells are coming, Ho-Ro, Ho-Ro!
The Campbells are coming to bonnie Lochleven.
The Campbells are coming, Ho-Ro, Ho-Ro!
Oh, you noticed "bonnie" in there?  Yes, I was a bonnie wee lassie when I realized my name was a word.  According to various sources, "bonnie" means "good" or "attractive."  Was I always "good"?  Of course not!  I'm no longer a wee lass, either.  But maybe it was my name that has made me feel more Scottish than the French, Irish, and English that's also in my genes.  Tell me about your family history.

I had to come back and share this photo I found on the Inveraray Castle site.  I didn't see it earlier because it's on the page about how to get there, and I won't be going there any time soon.  Probably never.  Isn't this a great view?

3 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

We always sing the song "Speed Bonnie Boat" as a lullaby in our family

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Thanks for sharing this Scotland-related lullaby story from your family. I'm listening to it right now. It's beautiful. For anyone else who wants to hear Helen's lullaby, click on this link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuugoISmrmY

As I was typing this comment, the song ended and another one started. Same song, but with the lyrics shown on the screen. I like it! So here's another link to the lullaby:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1CTxa-FuKc

By the way, I just added another photo to the post, one I found minutes ago. So you may want to come back to see it.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

All week I've been humming this tune, going back again and again to the YouTube links I posted on Monday. In the comments there, I found lyrics posted three years (!!!) ago in two different responses (below). Helen, did you sing only the chorus, or did you sing some verses, as well? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

(1) gogoniant ~ 3 years ago ~ Original lyrics

[Chorus:] Speed, bonnie boat, like a bird on the wing,
Onward! the sailors cry;
Carry the lad that's born to be King
Over the sea to Skye.

Loud the winds howl, loud the waves roar,
Thunderclouds rend the air;
Baffled, our foes stand by the shore,
Follow they will not dare. [Chorus]

Though the waves leap, so soft shall ye sleep,
Ocean's a royal bed.
Rocked in the deep, Flora will keep
Watch by your weary head. [Chorus]

Many's the lad fought on that day,
Well the Claymore could wield,
When the night came, silently lay
Dead on Culloden's field. [Chorus]

Burned are their homes, exile and death
Scatter the loyal men;
Yet ere the sword cool in the sheath
Charlie will come again. [Chorus]

(2) Lord Kiltridge ~ 3 years ago

[chorus:] speed, bonnie boat, loch a spyug oan th' win',
onward! th' sailors cry;
carry th' laddie that's born tae be king
ower th' brine tae skye.

lood th' winds howl, lood th' waves roar,
thundercloods rend th' air;
baffled, uir foes stain by th' shair,
follaw they wulnae daur. [chorus]

thoogh th' waves leap, soft shaa ye sleep,
ocean's a royal bed.
rocked in th' deep, flora will keep
watch by yer weary heed. [chorus]

many's th' laddie fooght oan 'at day,
weel th' claymair coods wield,
when th' nicht cam, silently lay deid
oan Culloden's field. [chorus]

burned ur their homes, exile an' death
scatter th' leal men;
yit aur th' sword stoat in th' sheath
Teàrlach will come again. [chorus]

Someone else suggest we listen to the slower version of The Skye Boat Song by Clamavi De Profundis. Here's the link to that version, which I don't like as much:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waDNu0OIdVQ