Tuesday, November 6, 2018

A busy week

Melissa's last exercise class at the Crown Center before moving with her family to another town was last Wednesday.  I went straight from my gentle chair yoga class to this one, so I was really feeling it by the end, when the staff had a going-away party for her.  I don't think I can call it a retirement party, not for this mother of two pre-schoolers.

ELECTION NIGHT (tonight)

Clawdia wanting to go visit Donna, 2016
I took Clawdia with me back down to the Theater Room, where Donna and I had been watching election returns for about three hours.  She checked out the Theater Room, jumped into a front chair, stood as tall as possible with her paws on the back of the chair, and sniffed the room.  She'd already seen the "good" security guy standing by the door I'd closed, after asking if he was allergic to cats, so after jumping from that chair to the chair beside it, she considered jumping way over to the chair against the wall, decided against it, but had apparently found what she'd been looking for:
"Where's my carrier?????"
She jumped in the chair beside the one where I'd put the carrier, stood on the arm of the chair to smell her blue carrier (just to be sure, you know), jumped over and went into her very own carrier, perfectly telling me, "I wanna go HOME, please!  Now!"  That adventure was a little bit too much, even for Clawdia.

MOVIES and BOOKS
Last Tuesday, Donna and Sharon (who lives on my floor) and I went to Powell Hall to hear Lisa Genova in the Speaker Series.  I saw the Still Alice movie in 2015 (based on her 2007 book of the same title) and considered it the best movie I saw that year.

Saturday, I saw the movie Moonstruck, starring Cher, Nicholas Cage, and Olympia Dukakis.

I'm currently reading Unsheltered by Barbara Kingsolver, 2018, fiction (New Jersey).  I finished reading A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult, 2018, fiction set in Mississippi and rated it 8/10.

2 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

I'm not sure if I want to read the current Barbara Kingsolver. The description doesn't grab me, but I do love her books. I remember enjoying Moonstruck when it first came out.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I don't know how you even FOUND this post. I'd forgotten to post it when I wrote it, so I just back-dated it to the day I'd written most of it and posted it today. In the meantime, I finished Kingsolver's book, rated it 8 of 10 (not a favorite), and added these quotes to my list of books read this year:

86. Unsheltered ~ by Barbara Kingsolver, 2018, fiction (New Jersey), 8/10

"We are given to live in a remarkable time. When the nuisance of old mythologies falls away from us, we may see with new eyes" (p. 89).

"Teach them to see evidence for themselves, and not to fear it" (p. 205).

"I suppose it is in our nature," she said finally. "When men fear the loss of what they know, they will follow any tyrant who promises to restore the old order" (p. 206).

"But the logistics of a new phone turned out to be simple: Tig could add herself to Jorge's family plan. This might be a modern equivalent to marriage" (p. 393).

"And her brain seemed resistant to the life-changing art of pitching things out" (p. 405).