Sunday, July 22, 2018

Sunday Salon ~ new ideas

More Sunday Salon posts are on Facebook
Sophisticated Dorkiness wrote a post today using these categories:  Around Here, Reading, Watching, Listening, Loving, Hating, Reflecting, Recommending, Anticipating.   I don't "watch" or "listen" to books, but I can use the other ways of sorting.

Reading
The Lightkeeper's Daughters ~ by Jean E. Pendziwol, 2017, fiction (Canada)

Morgan, a delinquent teen performing community service, helps elderly Elizabeth sort through her late father's journals, which were found in the ruins of an old shipwreck.  I got this book a month ago, but have been too busy reading other books.  Now I have only two renewals left and better start reading.
Anticipating
The Future of Humanity: Terraforming Mars, Interstellar Travel, Immortality, and Our Destiny Beyond Earth ~ by Michio Kaku, 2018, science

Physicist Michio Kaku explores our need to leave planet Earth to survive as a species by developing a sustainable civilization in outer space.  This book is nonfiction, so I'll probably read it at the same time as the fiction above.  It, too, arrived a month ago and has gone unread.  Maybe I'll get to it this week.
Recommending
Although I moved to St. Louis four years ago, my Sunday School class in Chattanooga still includes me in their group email.  George emailed me yesterday, "I haven't heard from you in 'a month of Sundays.'   How are things in Saint Louis?  I trust you are doing well.  We are about to finish another book in our Sunday morning study class and could use any suggestions from you that you might share.   I have tried to copy you on my weekly notes to the group, so you know what we have been reading of late.  We have a list you shared with us a couple of years back, but have you read anything lately you would particularly recommend?"  Oh, yes, I highly recommend Bishop Spong's latest book:  Unbelievable: Why Neither Ancient Creeds Nor the Reformation Can Produce a Living Faith Today (2018).
Loving
Today's cooler weather.  It's been hot and humid for much too long, but today we have overcast gray clouds, and 77° feels like 77° at 1:30 pm.
Hating
I don't give space to "hated" books, mostly because I toss them aside and don't bother to finish them.  Why waste any more time on a book I don't like?  So am I hating anything else?  Yes, I feel oppressed by the boxes still unpacked after four years here and by the stacks of books and papers still in my apartment.  Resolved:  to throw away all of it ... uhm, most of it? ... a lot of it?  Let's start over.  I resolve to pitch a ton of it before the end of July.  A ton?  Well, you know what I mean.
Reflecting
On call blocking for robo-calls.  One number tried four times to reach me yesterday and already three times again today.  Reports say it's a debt collector, but I don't owe anyone anything.  (Edited to add:  Plus a fourth call from that number about 3:20 pm, when I was napping.)

I have now looked up how to block calls on my flip phone (yes, I choose to have a flip phone) and will work on doing it as soon as I post this.

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

I have myself on the do not call list, but it really doesn't seem to matter these days. My solution is not to answer a call if a name doesn't pop up. I figure if no name pops up they aren't in my contact list so it's probably not important. And, if it is, they will leave a message.