Sunday, June 10, 2018

Sunday Salon ~ friends, books, and okra

Out-of-town visitors

My friend Ginny visited me at the end of May, bringing along her sister Bunny.  Although she lives in Florida, Ginny figured out how to come through St. Louis on her way to Pennsylvania.  Makes sense, doesn't it, driving from Florida to Missouri to get to Pennsylvania?  Okay, it's not exactly a direct route from one to the other, but I enjoyed their short visit.  I forgot to take pictures, but Ginny sent me this photo taken a couple of days later by Bunny's son.

Bookmarked books
  • Love Begins in Winter: Five Stories ~ by Simon Van Booy, 2009, fiction
  • Ten Women ~ by Marcela Serrano, 2011, fiction (Chile)
Books I'm studying
  • Why I Left, Why I Stayed: Conversations on Christianity Between an Evangelical Father and His Humanist Son ~ by Tony Campolo and Bart Campolo, 2017, religion
  • Unbelievable: Why Neither Ancient Creeds Nor the Reformation Can Produce a Living Faith Today ~ by John Shelby Spong, 2018
Recently finished
  • Shine ~ by Jodi Picoult, 2016, fiction (short story), 10/10

Okra

If okra does even half what this article promises, I'd say it's a good thing.  The chart above is from a different site, and this photo of oven-fried okra is from a third site.  I love fried okra, which isn't very heart-healthy.  Baked in the oven sounds okay.

More Sunday Salon posts on Facebook

2 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

How wonderful that your friends took a detour on their trip to see you!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Ginny came from Florida, but she had to come through some of the intervening states to pick up her sister. So it wasn't QUITE the big detour I jokingly made it. But yes, it was wonderful they took the detour they did to come visit me. I really enjoyed seeing them.