Friday, May 4, 2018

Don't declaw cats

"Declawing is an inhumane amputation procedure that is being done to around 10 million cats a year in America.  Though declawing has been banned in many countries around the world, 95% of these feline paw mutilation procedures are performed to protect the cat owner’s furniture.  Declawing always harms the long-term health and well-being of a cat and subjects cats to a lifetime of some sort of pain and suffering from walking on the amputations.   It increases negative behaviors such as biting and eliminating outside the litter box.  It produces more complications for the cats’ guardians, and sadly it increases the rates of abandonment for these now mutilated and defenseless cats.  Declawing has no place in an ethical or humane veterinary practice." ― Do No Harm Day Rallies

Do No Harm Day is today, May 4, 2018.  It's a time for rallies against the procedure.  Instead of marching, I've written this blog post.  Let me tell you about the little furry person who lives with me.

Clawdia on July 24, 2015
On learning that my residence required cats to be declawed, I declined to adopt the older cat I'd chosen.  Too painful.  My friend Donna called shelters until she found an already-declawed older cat for me.  So I rescued a declawed kitty and named her Clawdia, with a W ― CLAWdia.  She moved in on July 23, 2015.

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

I have to admit I never thought about declawing cats, but now I am so glad we never declawed ours when we were kids!