Sunday, February 25, 2018

Sunday Salon ~ books for my Kindle

More Sunday Salon posts are on Facebook.
I am apparently a serious bookaholic.  I say this after noticing how many books I've bought in the last 40 days just for my Kindle, not even counting the "two dozen plus two" actual books I got at the recent book fair.  Here's my list of new books on my Kindle (though you can see by the dates that some of them are "old" books).

Fiction

Journeys Through Time and Space: Five Classic Novels of Science Fiction and Fantasy ~ ed. by Greg Bear is sold as a single "book," but it actually has FIVE full novels in the Kindle edition, which Greg Bear calls "this bundle" of books.  That's how I'm counting them, as five novels rather than one.

1.  A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court ~ by Mark Twain, 1889
2.  The Time Machine ~ by H. G. Wells, 1895
3.  A Princess of Mars ~ by Edgar Rice Burroughs, 1912
4.  A Voyage to Arcturus ~ by David Lindsay, 1920
5.  The Worm Ouroboros ~ by E. R. Eddison, 1922

More Fiction

6.  Manalive ~ by G. K. Chesterton, 1912
7.  Ilsa ~ by Madeleine L'Engle, 1946
8.  Youth ~ by Isaac Asimov, 1952
9.  A Reckoning ~ by May Sarton, 1978
10.  Crescent in the Sky ~ by Donald Moffitt, 1989
11.  Love Begins in Winter: Five Stories ~ by Simon Van Booy, 2009
12.  Letters from Skye ~ by Jessica Brockmole, 2013
13.  We Are All Made of Stars ~ by Rowan Coleman, 2015
14.  The Bookshop on the Corner ~ by Jenny Colgan, 2016
15.  The Daughter ~ by Lucy Dawson, 2017

Nonfiction

16.  Psychoanalysis and Zen Buddhism ~ by Erich Fromm, 1960
17.  In the Beginning: Science Faces God in the Book of Genesis ~ by Isaac Asimov, 1981
18.  The Dream of God: A Call to Return ~ by Verna J. Dozier, 1991
19.  God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question ― Why We Suffer ~ by Bart D. Ehrman, 2008
20.  Forged: Writing in the Name of God ~ by Bart D. Ehrman, 2011
21.  What Every Christian Needs to Know about the Jewishness of Jesus: A New Way of Seeing the Most Influential Rabbi in History ~ by Rabbi Evan Moffic, 2015
22.  Jesus Before the Gospels: How the Earliest Christians Remembered, Changed, and Invented Their Stories of the Savior ~ by Bart D. Ehrman, 2016
23.  The Happiness Prayer ~ by Evan Moffic, 2017

Doing the math

I bought 23 books in only 40 days ― actually that's 23 books on Kindle plus 26 books from the book fair for a total of 49 books (23+26=49).  Yes, I realize that's more than a book a day, average.  Er, ah, that includes today (I mean tonight), when I downloaded Letters from Skye, the middle book pictured above.  Yes, I confess that I bought it while I was writing this post.  Yes, I hid it in the middle by listing the books chronologically in each section.

2 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

So much fun to get so many books at once! I love it. I am not good at having books on my kindle app as I tend to forget about books if I don't see them.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I carry my Kindle around with me, especially when I take people for doctor's appointments, and I can read while waiting. It also helps when I lead discussions among the residents in my retirement center, that I have reference books handy without having to take a whole LIBRARY of books along with me. I do like having the main book marked up so I can flip from place to place easily while teaching or discussing a book. It's not that easy to flip back and forth with a Kindle.