Monday, January 22, 2018

Monday Mindfulness ~ more friendship

Click to enlarge the image.
It's the fourth week of this year, so it's time to pull up another seven days from the Happiness Calendar.

Jan. 22 ~ Be kinder to yourself when you make mistakes.
Jan. 23 ~ Take a small step toward an important goal.
Jan. 24 ~ Try out something new to get out of your comfort zone.
Jan. 25 ~ Decide to lift someone up rather than put them down.
Jan. 26 ~ Say hello to a neighbor and get to know them better.
Jan. 27 ~ Today do something fun (ideally with others).
Jan. 28 ~ Put away your devices and focus fully on who you're with.

Last week I reported on calling an old friend because the suggestion had been "Get back in touch with an old friend you miss."  The following day, I repeated that suggestion and called my friend Nancy.  We talked for 2 hours and 45 minutes, catching up on life and family and changes.  Nancy and I went to seminary together, and I lived with her family for one of those semesters.  Sorry, no photo of her available right now.

Some of these suggestions make no sense for retirees, like this one:  "Take a different route today and see what you notice."  I don't usually go anywhere, except inside my building.  I could walk to the adjoining building by going outside, but all I'm likely to notice is that a January walk outside is colder than going the "regular" way through the halls directly.  Ah, well, I just repeated the "get in touch" suggestion and had a nice "reunion" of sorts.

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

I am enjoying doing these "tasks" even if I don't accomplish all of them. I've been doing lots of getting to know neighbors, talking to strangers, and taking different routes due to the mudslides in the neighborhood!