Friday, March 3, 2017

Beginning ~ half a century ago

Metaphors Be With You: An A-to-Z Dictionary of History's Greatest Metaphorical Quotations ~ by Mardy Grothe, 2016
More than fifty years ago, my life was turned around by one of history's most famous metaphorical passages:

If a man does not keep pace with his companions,
perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music which he hears,
however measured or far away.
― Henry David Thoreau

I was in the middle of what is now called an identity crisis, and Thoreau's words were a lifeline.  I didn't even know what a metaphor was at the time, but one of the best things about metaphors is that you don't have to know what they are to be moved by them.
That's from the Introduction (p. xi).  When I got home from the library, I flipped this book open to roughly in the middle of its 479 pages and found this:
That money talks
I'll not deny.
I heard it once,
it said goodbye.
― Richard Armour (p. 278)
And one last teaser, my favorite metaphor from this book so far.  Yes, we readers love libraries.
A library doesn't need windows.  A library is a window.
―Stewart Brand (p. 236)


Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays.  Click here for today's Mister Linky.

6 comments:

Maria said...

I've never thought about reading a book on metaphors - I loved the teasers you shared. Here's my Friday meme

Bev Bouwer said...

What wonderful metaphors. Sounds like this book could be quite inspirational. Today I'm sharing an oldie - 1984 by George Orwell.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Sounds like a great book for people who love words and language! I'd love to have this book on my shelves.
My Friday post features The Other Daughter.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Thanks, Sandra. I liked what you wrote about The Other Daughter and put it on reserve at my library.

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

I want this book!

Thanks for posting on BBOF!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Yes, you do, Gilion! I highly recommend it, not for reading straight through, but for browsing for the rest of your life. :)