Thursday, February 4, 2016

BTT ~ multiple copies

Today's prompt from BTT:
"Do you own multiple copies of any books?  Why?  Is it the format?  Size?  Just because you love it?"
I have multiple reasons for getting multiple books.

First, to replace one that's practically unreadable because it's falling apart.  On my last day at seminary (April 24, 1987), I went to the bookstore and bought Theology of Hope by Jürgen Moltmann, happy I'd finally have time to read it instead of assigned homework.  I underlined and wrote in the margins as I read the book, but the pages began to fall out of the browning cover as the glue dried out.  The first 78 pages are in one clump, and pages 79-156 are another clump.  The cover is still holding onto pages 157-342, with a huge gap in the front.  I could have thrown it away, but my notes are all through that copy.  After 25 years, I bought a new copy in 2012.  This shiny version, I'm happy to report, has a notice on the copyright page promising it won't turn all brown like the first one:
"The paper used in this publication meets the minimum requirements of American National Standard for Information Sciences-Permanence of Paper for Printed Library Materials."
Second, I have multiple copies of books I use in classes I teach.  For example, I still have four brand-new copies of The Complete Gospels edited by Robert J. Miller, as well as my own well-marked and tabbed copy.  If and when I teach my class on "Seven Gospels," I'll sell those copies — probably for less than I originally paid for the books, but at least it will free up some shelf space for other books.

Third, I have been known to buy a copy of a book and get home to discover I have one already on my shelves.  Sometimes, they are different editions and, thus, don't look the same.  Usually, I simply gave one of them to my friend Donna so we can both read and discuss it.

Fourth, which is related to the third reason, I unknowingly bought a second copy of Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why by Bart D. Ehrman, but have NOT given away either version.  Both were published by HarperSanFrancisco, but one has "Plus" in the back:
Questions and answers with the author
Readers' responses to the book
Famous manuscripts
Top ten verses that were not originally in the New Testamant
Unfortunately, though this one appears to be the newer one, it has browner pages and a cut-out oval on the front cover that will probably tear at some point (cover on the right).  The other (on the left) has whiter pages and slightly larger print, making it easier to read.

Fifth, I have a extra copy of We Make the Road by Walking by Brian D. McLaren because a friend decided not to join me and others in our year-long quest for spiritual formation as we studied the book.  I'll probably give it away.

You may have noticed all these examples are nonfiction.  I'm not likely to buy two novels, since I rarely buy fiction at all.  I'll let the library provide those for me.

No comments: