Friday, July 12, 2013

Beginning ~ with illegal businesses

The Harmony Silk Factory ~ by Tash Aw, 2005, fiction (Malaysia)
"The Harmony Silk Factory is the name of the shop house my father bought in 1942 as a front for his illegal businesses."
I have two of Tash Aw's novels checked out of my library, and plan to start with this one because it's the older of the two.  This one is set in British-ruled Malaya (now called Malaysia), and the second novel is set in Indonesia.  Could you locate those countries on a map?  I'm reading these books to discuss with my friend Jane, so I sent her this map.  Malaysia is dark green, and Indonesia is brown.

I'm not particularly excited by the first sentence of this book, but I've been "booking" my way around the world for several years and hope to add these novels to my list of countries on the sidebar here.  So far, I don't have books to represent either of these countries.



Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays. Click here for today's Mister Linky.

9 comments:

Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

I like your concept of reading your way around the world...hope these two novels are enjoyable.

My Friday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/07/friday-focus-friday-56-and-book_12.html

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

A great way to travel! Thanks for sharing...and here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

Juli Rahel said...

Reading around the world is a genius idea! The first line is definitely very straight forward, no beating around the bush! I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for sharing :)
My Friday post
Juli @ Universe in Words

Anonymous said...

Intriguing way to start this novel, I wonder what the other business is all about and how his family came to do it. Thanks for sharing this title with us! Happy reading weekend :)

My Friday Book Memes

gautami tripathy said...

Interesting......thanks for sharing!

Here is my post

Helen's Book Blog said...

I can proudly say that I can locate both on a map. Of course, it helps that I taught geography and that I've been to Malaysia. :-)

I think the opening sentence is quite intriguing. I guess it all depends on what the illegal business is!

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

I think that is an excellent beginning! I'm going to go look up this book and this author. Like you, I am slowly working my way around the globe in books. But I don't think I have any books set in Malaysia or written by Malaysian author. I am intrigued.

Thank you for participating in Books Beginnings on Friday!

Rose City Reader

Julie said...

His illegal business? Well, I'D have to keep reading just to see what it was! Hope you're enjoying the read!

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

An illegal business in 1943? I'm in. Let us know if the book is good. Please visit my blog and sign up for my Blogoversary Giveaway. Anne @My Head is Full of Books