Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Bookends ~ by Liz Curtis Higgs

Bookends ~ by Liz Curtis Higgs, 2000, fiction, 5/10
Having now read the whole book, I can say with more certainty that the white cover fits the story better than the darker (more "historic"?) cover.  See my comparison of the two cover designs here.  This is a fluffy book, without much depth.  The main character, Emilie, didn't seem to stay "in character," as she went from seriously focused historian with little or no charisma to playful and giggly ingenue when she was falling in love.  With the rain we've had lately making my healing shoulder ache, I found it difficult to believe Emilie could be wearing a sling for a broken (was it a collarbone?) in parts of the book and just slip the sling off whenever it was inconvenient or throw herself into the arms of the man she was beginning to like.  It just doesn't work that way, at least for me.  I like Liz Curtis Higgs's nonfiction books, but this was too shallow for me.  I rate the book 5 of 10, average.

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

Sounds like one I won't bother reading. I really dislike it when the character has personality changes, it's as if the author couldn't quite decide what to do.