Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Rule ~ "i before e"

I found this on "Grammarly" on Facebook and have no idea how true it is.  So let's think of all the words we can that are spelled with either "ie" or "ei" in them.  According to my source:
The number 923 comes from a BBC quiz show, "QI."  Numbers will vary, however, based on the dictionary used.
How many words can you think of?  Share "ei" and "ie" words in the comments, and I'll add them to our list here:
I before E
alien
alienate
ambient
ancient
audience
befriend
belief
brief
cashier
chief
conceited
conscientious
diesel
efficient
experience
field
fiend
friend
glaciers
grieve
piece
priest
relief
science
shield
society
sufficient
thief
wield
yield
E before I
beige
ceiling
conceited
conceive
deceit
deceive
deign
eight
either
feign
feisty
foreign
forfeit
freight
freighter
height
heir
heist
leisure
neighbor
neighborhood
neither
perceive
receipt
receive
reign
seizure
skein
sleigh
their
veil
vein
weigh
weight
weighty
weird

And now, of course, we have to figure out which ones follow the rule:  "I before E, except after C, or when sounded as ay, as in neighbor or weigh."

No comments: