Monday, April 8, 2013

Mystery book cover ~ title revealed

Okay, my question from Saturday has been answered by Wendy and Helen, neither of whom could see the other's answer because this blog is moderated.  The mystery cover is A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle, 1962.  The illustrations on the left of this cover show Mrs Whatsit, Mrs Who, and Mrs Which.  The three children flying across the top of the picture are the main characters.  Can you name any of them?

The cover at the top is, however, only one of the many covers this Newbery-award-winning book has "worn" since it was published more than 50 years ago.  This blue cover is from the original hardback edition.

I think this may have been the cover on the version my children had, when they were growing up.

And here are some of the other covers, including foreign editions in other languages.  I see on this spread all three covers I have featured here.  And it turns out I'm not the only one among my book friends who love this book.
Wendy said:  "Best.  Book.  Ever.  'It was a dark and stormy night...' "

Annette said on Facebook:  "My all time favorite kids' book!!"

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

The cover I have is the bottom row, third from the right. Very 1970s :-)