Friday, April 19, 2013

Beginning ~ black, poor, and female

Mom and Me and Mom ~ by Maya Angelou, 2013, memoir, 8/10
"The first decade of the twentieth century was not a great time to be born black and poor and female in St. Louis, Missouri, but Vivian Baxter was born black and poor, to black and poor parents."
This is Maya Angelou's most recent book about her life, this time telling us about her relationship with her mother.  Read more about the memoir in my Sunday Salon post.



Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays. Click here for today's Mister Linky.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Maya Angelou and her books are always enlightening and uplifting. Sounds like this one is right on track!

Come by and see what I posted for Book Beginnings today on my blog SnifferWalk Books. Love to have ya!

Bev Hankins said...

I've got a Maya Angelou book on the 2013 TBR stack (Heart of a Woman). I really like her books. Nice beginning. Here's my Friday Post.

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

This statement could easily apply to today.


Book Beginning

Brona said...

Ahhh my book beginning is Their Eyes Were Watching God - a similar theme to yours this week.