Saturday, August 27, 2011

Scribble, scribble, scribble


Mad Woman in the Forest, who happens to be the renowned author Laurie Halse Anderson, has been posting prompts for writers every day this month.  Today's prompt speaks to me, somehow.  What would YOU — or your character, if you were writing a story — throw in the backpack?


I think the most striking statistic about Hurricane Irene so far is CNN’s statement that the storm will affect 1 in 6 Americans. (I’m still trying to wrap my head around this.) We are far away from the danger; might get some wind and a little rain. We’re used to losing power frequently, so that’s not a problem. I sure hope those of you who are in Irene’s path stay safe, snug, and dry.

In case your power is about to go out, let’s get busy right away with tonight’s Irene-inspired prompt.

Ready… Make sure that you pack a notebook (the kind made out of paper) and sharpened pencils in your go bag. Natural disasters provide all kinds of inspiration and you need your tools! (It’s easier to write in the rain with pencils than pens.)

Set… “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power.” Maya Angelou

Today’s prompt: Your character has five minutes to throw his most important possessions into a backpack, because the hurricane has changed course and he and his family must flee. What goes in the bag? Why? And what is hidden in that small wooden box that he pulls down from the top shelf of his closet when no one is looking? Be as detailed as possible. This is a chance to show character by the decisions he makes.

Scribble… Scribble… Scribble…
I'll try to come up with something and connect to it with this link.  You are welcome to share a link in your comment, rather than trying to make a list here.

2 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

We've had similar evacuations due to fires, but I've always had a few hours warning. I grab my hard drive back up, photo albums, purse, and a couple pieces of art. This is all after getting the family and pets out safely, of course

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Maybe I should ask what's in your purse, Helen.

I would grab my favorite photo of my mother and the only video I have of her (she died in 2004), plus flashdrives and laptop -- with its cord to plug into a power source, of course. Kiki Cat knows I wouldn't forget her -- or Donna and her cat, Sammy.