Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Library Loot ~ July 13-19

The Book Group Book: A Thoughtful Guide to Forming and Enjoying a Stimulating Book Discussion Group ~ by Ellen Slezak, 1993, essays
I'm enjoying these essays, not toward forming another group, but just for myself.  From the back cover:  "On any given afternoon or evening, hundreds of book groups are meeting in living rooms, libraries, coffee houses, and kitchens to share their love — or hate — of a book.  Interests and reading lists vary tremendously, but in each successful group, members are firmly linked by a passion for books and a fierce loyalty to each other."  The book includes insider tips on what makes a good group tick, firsthand advice on how to organize meetings, select books, stimulate discussion, and attract (or discourage) new members, how to turn a flagging group around, and reading lists.
Atlas Shrugged ~ by Ayn Rand, 1957, fiction (New York)
I bought the mass market version of this book in May, but its teensy print gave me a headache and I quit reading at 76 pages.  Finally, I have the library copy that I've waited two months to get.  However, this 1168-page hardback weighs four pounds (yes, I put it on a scale), and now it's my arms and hands protesting rather than my eyes.  Adding to my frustration, the characters seem totally unreal to me because Rand uses them simply as "mouthpieces for particular points of view."  (I got that perfect description from Stephanie Patterson's essay on page 63 of The Book Group Book, above.)
Library Loot is a weekly meme co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Marg from The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library.  Marg has the Mister Linky this week, if you'd like to share a list of the loot you brought home.

3 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

Oh, Atlas Shrugged... I am so intimidated by anything Ayn Rand! Enjoy the reading

Anonymous said...

I have to admit to not being a fan of Rand's but I am definitely impressed by your determination to read Atlas Shrugged, despite the problems presented by various editions! Good luck!

Kailana said...

One of these days I am going to get a chance to read Ayn Rand!