Saturday, April 23, 2011

Teaser ~ from Antarctica

I've already posted the beginning of The White Darkness by Geraldine McCaughrean (2005).  Now I've read to page 67, where I found a teaser I want to share.  The characters are arriving in Antarctica, where these Adelie penguins live.  Symone, the 14-year-old narrator, thinks:
"By traveling west on the way here, we gained the best part of a day.  Does that mean that by the time noon gets to England, it will be secondhand really, covered in our footmarks and fingerprints?"
I like the way this quirky English girl thinks.  What a concept, to think of a day that's already covered with footmarks and fingerprints!

2 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

It seems a bit beyond a 14 year old, but I like the idea behind it!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Yes, much of the books seems a bit beyond a 14-year-old, but overall I decided the book rates 8/10, a very good book, because it kept me turning the pages to the end.