Friday, February 11, 2011

Cloudy book beginning

What We Keep ~ by Elizabeth Berg, 1998
"Outside the airplane window the clouds are thick and rippled, unbroken as acres of land.  They are suffused with peach-colored, early morning sun, gilded at the edges.  Across the aisle, a man is taking a picture of them.  Even the pilot couldn't keep still -- 'Folks,' he just said, 'we've got quite a sunrise out there.  Might want to have a look.'  I like it when pilots make such comments.  It lets me know they're awake."
"In medias res," I learned in school, means to start by jumping right into the middle of the story. A century or so ago, novels began with long descriptions, and that's sort of what this feels like -- except that the reader jumps right into the middle of a flight from somewhere to somewhere and now it's early morning with the sun just rising. That makes me curious about the narrator. Where is she going?  (The book is about two sisters and their mother, so I'm pretty sure the narrator is "she.")

If you want to play along, this meme is hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages.  Share the first sentence or two of the book you are reading.  (Sometimes it takes several sentences to get the full thought.)  Then, share your impressions of that beginning.  Click this link to see what others say about the books they are reading this week.

3 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

I like the part about a pilot's comments showing that they are awake! That's always reassuring

Bookfool said...

That's a great quote. I noticed your challenge. I'm not doing challenges, this year, but I've read two Eliz. Berg books. The Pull of the Moon was one of them, but I can't remember the title of the other. Hmm.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Bookfool, I've posted her entire book list here:

http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2011/02/berg-fest.html