Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Two more library books

The History of Love ~ by Nicole Krauss, 2005
Synopsis:  A long-lost book reappears, mysteriously connecting an old man searching for his son and a girl seeking a cure for her widowed mother's loneliness.
I like books about books.  I'm thinking about People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks, a 2008 book I read with my online Book Buddies discussion group.

The Classic Guide to Better Writing: Step-by-Step Techniques and Exercises to Write Simply, Clearly and Correctly ~ by Rudolf Flesch and A. H. Lass, 1996

This is the most recent incarnation of the book published in 1947.  The titles have changed, but this 50th anniversary edition is basically the same as the small 1963 paperback I've had for decades, with one small addition:  a three-page chapter on "Bias-Free Language."  The cost has risen, though.
The Way to Write (1947), the original title, cost $3.95 in hardback.
A New Guide to Better Writing (1963), a small paperback version, cost 75 cents.
The Classic Guide to Better Writing (1996), the 50th anniversary paperback, cost $9.95 then, and $13.95 now.

2 comments:

Care said...

I have both The History of Love and People of the Book and really need to read both! I've heard such good things.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Care, People of the Book is excellent. I'm about halfway through The History of Love and not finding it anywhere near as good, though I may have a different opinion once I understand more about what's going on among the characters.