Friday, July 2, 2010

New books, again

My friend Donna read this and handed me her copy, saying I should read it.  The online synopsis says:  "The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ is the remarkable new piece of fiction from best-selling and famously atheistic author Philip Pullman."  So he's famously atheistic, huh?  Ought to be interesting.  Pullman himself says, "The story I tell comes out of the tension within the dual nature of Jesus Christ, but what I do with it is my responsibility alone. Parts of it read like a novel, parts like history, and parts like a fairy tale; I wanted it to be like that because it is, among other things, a story about how stories become stories."  I think I'll start this book tonight.

Have you read it?  What new books have come into your home this week?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember when you were a kid and getting new crayons was a big deal?  Getting new books holds the same kind of magic for some of us big kids.  Susan at Color Online came up with the idea of New Crayons as a metaphor for the new books that have arrived at your house.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Zeitoun! A fascinati8ng story about a family in New Orleans during Katrina and the husband's arrest as a possible terrorist. Oh yes in America under Bush area.