Saturday, June 12, 2010

Three books, but which format?

Helen of Helen's Book Blog asked if she's the last one to learn about NetGalley.  Nope, I had never heard of it.  The site says, "Professional readers — reviewers, media, bloggers, journalists, librarians, booksellers and educators — can all use NetGalley for free to read and request galleys they want to review."  The catch is that the ARCs are digital.  In other words, you have to read them on your Kindle or laptop or whatever.  I found three books that may interest me, but I've never tried to read a whole book on my laptop, and I can't afford to buy a Kindle.  Here are the books I've discovered, along with a request that you tell me about your experiences either with NetGalley or with reading e-books.

31 Hours ~ by Masha Hamilton, 2009
Masha Hamilton is one of my favorite authors.  I've read three of her novels:  The Camel Bookmobile, The Distance Between Us, and Staircase of a Thousand Stairs.  But I haven't yet read 31 Hours, her newest novel.  Jonas has a new faith — and a belief that he can change the world.  But he plans to do that with a violent action.  Can those who love him reach him in time?  They have only 31 hours.
The Case for Books: Past, Present, and Future ~ by Robert Darnton, 2009
In this one, a Princeton professor who is also director of the Harvard University Library speculates about the future of books.  As a lifelong "bookie," I have worried about what may be in store for real books.  But should I read his opinion on a technological gadget?  Wouldn't that be rather ironic, to read about books on something that isn't exactly a book?  Should I buy a copy I can hold in my hands?
The Woman Who Named God: Abraham's Dilemma and the Birth of Three Faiths ~ by Charlotte Gordon, 2009
This is a book about Hagar and Sarah and Abraham, the "love triangle" in the early part of Genesis in the Bible (starting at chapter 12).  Abraham has a son by Hagar, his concubine, then years later another son by Sarah, his wife.  From these two sons come today's three major monotheistic religions:  Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.  The "woman who named God" of the book's title is Hagar, and I want to read about her.

3 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

People who have commented say they like Net Galley. Most have used a Kindle, but I think at least one person said it worked on their computer. I say give it a try and if you like it you're set and if not, you don't do it again!

alisonwonderland said...

I haven't ever read a book on a computer. I'm not sure how I'd do with that. I'm going to think about getting a Kindle or Nook or whatever once I save enough money, but the big selling point to my mind is for use while traveling, not for general reading.

I think Helen is right ... You should give the laptop approach a try and see what you think.

I did put 31 Hours on my to-read list after I saw it at the library (although I haven't read any of her books except The Camel Bookmobile.)

Susan Tidwell said...

I sit in front of a computer all day and it does not appeal to me to do so to read a book. Also I cannot see me curling up in my favorite chair with my laptop...

Call me old fashioned, but give me a real hardbound book to hold and I will be happy!