Sunday, May 2, 2010

New Crayons ~ new this week on my bookshelves

The one book I put on hold at the library hasn't come in yet, so no library books are among the six books I got this week.  However, one sunny day my neighbor Gussie and I visited the biggest used book store in town, and the UPS fella brought me the two books I won three weeks ago, during Hour 14 of Dewey's 24-Hour Read-A-Thon (no sign of the chocolate monkey yet).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember when you were a kid and getting new crayons was a big deal?  Getting new books holds the same kind of magic for some of us big kids.  Susan at Color Online came up with the idea of New Crayons to represent new books that arrived during the week.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two by two, they come.  The two I won are new, but one arrived from HarperCollins with the back cover and one page creased because of the way it was shoved into the mailer, and the other has a slight crease angled across the front cover.  Too bad.

The Cougar Club by Susan McBride is a novel about "three women who aren't about to run and hide just because the world says they should be on the shelf and out of circulation."  Shelf Discovery by Lizzie Skurnick is about the "teen classics we never stopped reading," including ones like A Wrinkle in Time, Harriet the Spy, Blubber, The Cat Ate My Gymsuit, Bridge to Terabithia, and The Clan of the Cave Bear.  Whoa!  How'd that last one get on that list?


Homelands, edited by Patricia Justine Tumang and Jenesha de Rivera, is subtitled "Women's Journeys Across Race, Place, and Time."  It's a women's studies book, in case you can't guess.  The Sound of a Silver Horn by Kathleen Noble also has a telling subtitle:  "Reclaiming the Heroism in Contemporary Women's Lives."  This hardback (autographed by "Kate Noble" and with a different cover than shown above) is cataloged by the Library of Congress as women-psychology, heroines, women-mythology, and feminist criticism.  Sounds heavy, but looks quite readable.  Both books are for the Women Unbound reading challenge.


Woman's Consciousness, Man's World
by Sheila Rowbotham is labeled political science, sociology, and anthropology.  It's the tiniest book here, but the heaviest subject matter.  If I Had My Life to Live Over, I Would Pick More Daisies, edited by Sandra Haldeman Martz, is full of stories and poems and haunting black-and-white photographs -- and it's a gift for my friend on the day of her croning ceremony.  I was croned eight years ago.  Do any of you reading this know what I'm talking about?

What books came into your house this week?

No comments: