Saturday, September 26, 2009

Life magazine


Life magazine is now available on Google books, covering the years from 1936 to 1972. The one that caught my eye was this Sep 24, 1965 issue, showing photos taken from space by Gemini. Ike was 75. You'll definitely want to see the fashions.

Even the advertisements are fun. When I saw the two-page spread of The Sea from Life's Nature Library, I'd swear I could remember that new-book smell. The TV dinner, on the other hand, looks better than I ever remember it tasting. And -- surprise! -- there are cigarette ads. And how times have changed: "Even in the rain, 'Fill 'er up' also means 'Lift the hood'." Another advertisement has Lawrence Welk in it. And there's a top-loading dishwasher.











It was lots of fun looking through this 44-year-old magazine, at least for me. Kiki was not impressed. Next time I'll look for this one.

No comments: