Sunday, April 6, 2008

A porch-skirted grandmother


Sara Lewis Holmes wrote:
My house creaks in the rain,
a porch-skirted grandmother
shifting her lap.
Read her whole poem here:
http://saralewisholmes.blogspot.com/2008/04/poetry-friday-before-rain.html

When I read that, I was back in my grandmother's neighborhood, where the houses wore such skirts. We would sit in the creaking porch swing on a rainy day, my brother and I, snug in the lap of grandmother's house.

Thanks for the memories, Sara, and for writing such evocative words!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a wonderful memory. I wish I had a house like that to remember. Our family had one when in New York, but we moved to Florida before I was old enough to experience it.

Sara said...

Thanks, Bonnie. Both my husband and I have declared that there must be a very large porch, or maybe more than one, as part of the house we eventually settle in. Maybe more porch than house!

Linda Jacobs said...

I couldn't live without a porch! It's the lap we sit in after a hard day at work!