Thursday, November 22, 2007

100 notable books of 2007



The New York Times has released its 100 Notable Books of the Year, which will appear in the print edition of the Book Review on December 2. How many of them have you read?

There's an Edith Wharton biography on the list that may be even more interesting if you also read the article Wharton Letter Reopens a Mystery by Charles McGrath. It's about a letter written by Wharton that was found in a copy of The House of Mirth. Want to know what the mystery is all about? Well, for that you'd better read the article.

5 comments:

Dewey said...

Ooh! Thanks! I can make my challenge list now!

I miss you. :)

NoVA Dad said...

Bonnie:

Thanks for posting the list; I haven't actually read any of them, but three -- Falling Man, After Dark, and the Yiddish Policeman's Union -- are in my to read stack. I figure at the rate I add books to the stack, I'll get to them in about 12 years!

Jennifer said...

I'm horrified to admit that I've only read one of them, have none on my TBR shelf, and don't even recognize a good deal of the books or authors! I usually have a slight better track record.

By the way, NYT's 10 Best Books of 2007 list is up too.

Jennifer said...

Just finished reading the Wharton article. It's interesting. I've never read The House of Mirth and lo and behold there's a link of the second page of the article to a full text on it online. I've bookmarked it. Thanks Bonnie!

Beth said...

I haven't read a single one of these. My favorite writers tend to be Southern writers, and I'm afraid that publications like The New York Times tend to not give Southern writers the recognition they deserve. I'm sure, though, that many of those in the list are excellent books. I was amused that one of the titles was How to Talk About Books You Haven't Read!