Sunday, October 21, 2007

Hour 19 ~ Are comic characters real?










What!??? Bertrand Russell says book characters are not real, that stories in books are claptrap!
___________________________________



## ## #### # ##
(Translation: Linus is over there
arguing with Bertrand Russell.)
___________________________________



Mr. Russell, you are talking to me.
Therefore, I am real.
Either that, sir, or you are in this claptrap with us!
___________________________________

Dewey said:
Hour 19: This hour’s mini-challenge is going to connect us to 24 Hour Comics Day, which is what originally inspired me to host the read-a-thon. My husband is participating in that, and he offered way back when I thought of this to do a mini-challenge. The prize is his original comic, the one he’s been working on all day. I’d tell you what it’s about, but he isn’t quite sure yet. He doesn’t want you to spend any more than half an hour on this mini-challenge. Here are his instructions:
My challenge to everyone (all of you, even those not reading or cheerleading or anything) is as follows:

Write a quick, 3-panel comic either related to reading or related to comics. Simple as that. Related to reading is broad, and can encompass a biographical snippet of an author, ruminations on what it means to read, the language of language, anything. Related to comics is similarly broad, covering, as it does, the relationship between written language and thought as it relates to perceptions of time.

Anyway, for a long time I was thinking it should be an MS Paint comic, but I’ve thought of several neat alternatives. For example:
1. drawn and scan!
2. draw and photograph!
3. Photograph yourself and add word balloons or text!
Make a comic, think about comics. The prize will be awarded at Hour 22.
__________

I have one competitor, so far: Callista!
__________

Dewey's announcement: The winner of the Hour 19 mini-challenge is Callista! She wins the original 24 Hour Comic Day comic done my my husband today.

CONGRATULATIONS, CALLISTA!
Yours is the better of the two!
You have word bubbles and three actual panels!
And here-e-e-e-e it is!


(click to enlarge)

4 comments:

Dewey said...

Ha ha, that's great. Anything that can make both of us here smile after what, twenty hour? is gold!

Booklogged said...

Very cute, indeed!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I just wrote about you, Booklogged, in my next post!

alisonwonderland said...

you got me smiling! :o)