Thursday, June 28, 2007

Something About Me ~ my reading choices

My choices:
1. The Seven Daughters of Eve ~ by Bryan Sykes (Chris)
2. Place Last Seen ~ by Charlotte McGuinn Freeman (Wendy)
3. Einstein's Dreams ~ by Alan Lightman (Raidergirl3)
4. The Memory Keeper's Daughter ~ by Kim Edwards (3M)
5. The Tortilla Curtain ~ by T.C. Boyle (Dewey)
6. Sixpence House: Lost in a Town of Books ~ by Paul Collins (in memory of Nattie)

Alternates:
7. Luncheon of the Boating Party ~ by Susan Vreeland (3M)
8. A Thousand Splendid Suns ~ by Khaled Hosseini (Diane)
9. The Happy Room ~ by Catherine Palmer (Twiga)
10. The Time Traveler's Wife ~ by Audrey Niffenegger (Dewey)
11. The End of Faith ~ by Sam Harris (Judith)
12. Demon Haunted World ~ by Carl Sagan (Kookiejar)

This challenge lasts five months, August through December, so I chose five books. The sixth book on my list is for Nattie, one she chose to tell us something about herself; but Nattie died young, leaving behind two small children. Cancer took her before the challenge got underway, but some of us are reading books she chose, doing it in memory of Nattie.

If you have read any of these books, please tell me what you thought of them. Thumbs up? Or thumbs down?

5 comments:

Dewey said...

I've read four of these, and two of them are toppling off the end of TBR Mountain. The ones I've read are all thumbs up! Numbers 3, 4, 5, and 10.

I chose my books for this before Nattie died, and I can't remember if any of my choices were her picks. I should check that out.

Susan Tidwell said...

All these reading challenges! Very ambitious! Looking forward to your reviews.

Stephanie said...

It looks like you picked out some good ones! I'd love to read one from everyone's pile, but the list just got to be too long! I haven't read any of the books you've picked, so I can't wait to read your reviews!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed The Time Traveler's Wife. My review of it is at http://armadillosoft.com/blog/2006/06/19/book-review-the-time-travelers-wife/

From my review:

"... in this thoughtful book, which resonates with ideas from sources as diverse as Homer's The Odyssey, My Fair Lady, Jules Verne's The Time Machine, Peter Pan and the aforementioned Slaughterhouse 5, among others, time travel has its rewards ... For one thing, during his trips to the past, Henry is able, Henry Higgins style, to shape Clare, into the wife he'll need when he finally marries her.

So what of the time traveler's wife? What's it like to always be the one left behind, the one who understands less? Well, it was pre-determined that she'd marry Henry, so of course she does. And she knows that often, when Henry is absent from her present, it is because he's visiting with her in the past. And, sometimes, Henry does take advantage of his gift to provide hints to his friends: "Buy Internet stocks." Although the abrupt disappearances are hard on Clare, Henry is often able to say to her, "This will work out in the end, don't worry about it so much now." ...

-- Emily

Wendy said...

Hi Bonnie! Thanks for your comment on my blog - I gave you a response over there with a link to a photo of Caribou and also a link to the canine search and rescue organization we worked for. My work with my county team is only as a tracker (we are not on the dog team in Shasta county :))